[Étude nationale] The impact of the second wave of COVID on French singles
Purpose of the study : With the government obligation to carry out a curfew from 6 p.m.without the possibility of physical encounters, what are the consequences on the behaviour of the singles French ?
Figures of the single population in France
First of all, and as a reminder, here are some figures on the importance of celibacy in France:
- In France, there 10 million people who live alone (figures Compass), the vast majority of whom are single people.
- 27% of single French people are registered on a dating site / application (digits of the French Statistical Society)
- In France, about 25% of couples, formed in 2019, met via a dating site (extrapolation of the figures of Statesman for the United States).
The results of the study 🇫🇷
Since the speech by the President of the Republic, Emmanuel Macron, on October 28, 2020, and the announcement of the second curfew, this has resulted in developments following behaviors:
- Average drop of 40% in the audience of dating sites in France
- Nevertheless, the second containment had a lower impact on the first, which had known a 60% drop (versus pre-COVID period).
The category of the oldest impacted is still the Seniors (over 60) with a drop of 50% of their visits to dedicated dating sites.
To note that summer 2020, who has preceded this second confinement, had been particularly carrier for dating sites, with a 20% growth compared to 2019.
Results by type of dating sites
For a finer analysis, it isn results from the evolutions following by categories of dating sites:
|Categories||Before March 16
Base 100 index
|17/03 au 31/03
|1/04 au 11/5||12/5 au 29/10
||30/10 au 31/03/2021
|General dating sites||100||55||110||120||80|
|Example : Meetic, AdopteUnMec, EliteRencontre|
|Location-based dating apps||100||35||90||110||65|
|Example : Tinder, Happn, Once|
|Senior dating sites||100||25||70||95||45|
|Example : SayTomorrow, NosBellesAnnées|
|Libertines dating sites||100||80||85||110||85|
|Example : Wyylde, Jacquie et Michel Contact|
|Sites for organizing singles outings||100||30||45||60||35|
|Example : OnaVaSortir.fr, SortirBouger.com|
Some interpretations of the results
By consulting these figures, it is possible to draw the following interpretations:
- Faced with the uncertain duration of the second confinement, 40% singles already registered have signed up temporarily withdrawn dating sites
- The seniorsbeing considered as a population at risk, have decided to put themselves more in withdrawal (50% of registrants) than the other age groups.
- Nevertheless, this second confinement being less restrictive (and sometimes less respected), this unsubscribe waveoption is less strong (-20%).
- Some of the singles must tell themselves that the life must go onand that you have to move forward in your personal life.
- Finally, dating sites (and applications) have experienced a record attendance during the summer of 2020 (compared to 2019), logical rebound effect.
Single Behavior Infographic
Source of data : Data collected by stat-rencontres.fr through the monthly audience of 118 dating sites in France 🇫🇷.
Press release : link to press release at format pdf
If you have any questions, you can ask them in the comments.
I created stat-rencontres.fr to help you choose the dating site that statistically matches you.
In fact, I’ve always had “couple arranger” fibre, to help my friends find shoe on their feet.. which is already the case for me.
find the channel Youtube of Stat-Dating ici.
If you have some reactions / questions, you can put them in the comments, With pleasure,